Subject: Re: Follow Up on Partitions
To: mwalker <mwalker@en.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 21:46:36
On Sun, 17 May 1998, mwalker wrote:

> This is as far as I got. So far, I have installed: base.tgz, etc.tgz,
> kern.tgz, man.tgz, and misc.tgz, without error. The only error I received
> was when I tried to install netbsd-GENERIC.gz, and it gave me:
>
> Inflating. . .
> bac block type 3
> Invalid compressed data-format violated 2
> unexpected end of file - not a valid tar archive.
> Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.
> Finished extracting netbsd-GENERIC.gz

The installer automatically extracts gzipped tar archives, not gzipped
plain files. You can use the installer's minishell to "cpin" the gzipped
kernel, and then boot from it directly by setting the name in the Booter's
"boot" dialog. One of the first things you should do once you get booted
into NetBSD, is extract it properly so that "ps" et. al. will work
correctly. Something like

	# gunzip -c netbsd-GENERIC.gz > /netbsd

Have fun!