Subject: Re: Follow Up on Partitions
To: mwalker <mwalker@en.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 21:30:57
On Sun, 17 May 1998, mwalker wrote:

> This is as far as I got. So far, I have installed: base.tgz, etc.tgz,
> kern.tgz, man.tgz, and misc.tgz, without error. The only error I received
> was when I tried to install netbsd-GENERIC.gz, and it gave me:
>
> Inflating. . .
> bac block type 3
> Invalid compressed data-format violated 2
> unexpected end of file - not a valid tar archive.
> Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.
> Finished extracting netbsd-GENERIC.gz
>
> I'm not quite sure if it installed this file or not, but I plan on getting
> another copy via FTP and reinstalling this file.

I doubt the file is bad.  It's probably just not a tarball.  NetBSD
kernels are distributed in one of two ways: either they're tarred and then
gzipped or they're just gzipped.  If they're just gzipped, then the
installer won't install them with the normal install.  Easy to get
around... just grab a copy of MacGzip, set it to binary mode, have it
ungzip the kernel, then go into the installer, select minishell, and use
the cpin command.  Easiest way to do that is to put the kernel in the same
directory as the installer so that you don't have to specify a path on the
MacOS side.

David