Subject: Re: A New Problem - Install!
To: mwalker <mwalker@en.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 14:18:08
On Sun, 17 May 1998, mwalker wrote:

> -r--r--r-- 0/0   3147 Sun Mar 15 18:18 1998 ./etc/mtree/BSD.pkg.dist
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> pos = 0, i = 22, fs = /
> alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

	This is an error I got alot also when I first installed onto my
Quantum Fireball 1.3Gig drive on my Q630. I think it's more a problem with
the way the installer works with some drives than anything you're doing
8-) In my experience it happens mostly on the bigger files (base, comp and
the larger X sets), and it happens on some drives and not others. My
Micropolis 1.2Gig had no problems installing the whole 1.2.1 distribution
(back when it was new ;-)), whereas my Quantum could barely chug through
the base set.

> (SCSI #5 is my Zip drive.)
> So, okay. I then entered the mini shell and executed the command:
> > cpin base.tgz /file

	Are you trying to install this on your Zip drive? If yes, tht may
be the source of your problems... have you read the Zip HOWTO?

> In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might have
> gone wrong?

	What worked for me was to fiddle with the size of my root
partition. The installer is JUST picky enough to not like it if there's an
extra bit of space in the wrong place, depending on your drive. My root is
about 800 MB... I think I tried 820 and 810. Here's what worked for me:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a      837450   473145   280560    63%    /
/dev/sd0g     1155239   847663   192052    82%    /home

	Well, my /home partition is actually only about 300MB. Speaking of
which, anybody know if 'df' has been fixed since... hmm... 1.3D?

	Good luck!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!