Subject: A New Problem - Install!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: mwalker <mwalker@en.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 13:08:15
Do I need the "How to Install NetBSD/mac68k for Dummies" book?

I wrote a message a few days ago regarding a problem I was having
installing OpenBSD on a Quadra 630 with external LaCie2.1g HD.  I have
received quite a few replies to my query. To those of you who responded,
thank you. The solution to my problem seemed to revolve in two areas:

1) I used the wrong partitioning parameters. I used A/UXv3 when I should of
used A/UXv2.
2) I was using OpenBSD when I should of been using, according to Mac users,
the tried and true NetBSD.

(The other problem was in my confusion regarding the boot kernel. I tried
all every suggestion offered, to no avail. So I decided to forego OpenBSD
and switch to NetBSD/mac68k because of the success of others.)

So, I decided to do the following:
1) Re-initialize and format my HD.
2) Set up 4 partitions as A/UXv2
3) Use Mkfs(1.45) to set the partitions to NetSBD types.
4) Install NetBSD 1.3.1 using the installer utility (1.1g).

Everything went smoothly, until I tried to install the base.tgz file. The
installer stopped at the following:

-r-xr-xr-x  3/7   163840  Sun Mar 15 17:29 1998 ./sbin/fsck_ffs
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 22, fs = /
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

So, using my trustworthy FAQ, I found, I think, the area where it describes
the problem. It was in 4.12. I checked to see where my partitions were
located, and indeed, they are on the last half of my HD. So, following the
recommendations of the FAQ I continued to successfully install the
kern.tgz. When installing the etc.tgz it stopped with this error:

-r--r--r-- 0/0   3147 Sun Mar 15 18:18 1998 ./etc/mtree/BSD.pkg.dist
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 22, fs = /
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

(SCSI #5 is my Zip drive.)
So, okay. I then entered the mini shell and executed the command:
> cpin base.tgz /file

About 5 minutes of disk activity, then:

Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 22, fs = /
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

Now, this is rather humbling! I have read, and also have a hard copy of
these in front of me, the mini-FAQ, FAQ, and the HOWTOS on installation and
building kernels. According to these instructions, I am performing every
step correctly. In fact, I feel very comfortable with the steps that I am
doing. The only step that I keep going back over, as to the cause of all my
problems is the Silverlining partition program, or more correctly, my
choice of selecting partitions.

After I send this message I plan to start over using Silverlining to
initialize and re-partition. This time I am going to try to have all the
partitions at the front of the HD.

In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might have
gone wrong?

Thank you,
Mike