Subject: Kensington Thinking Mouse surprise
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1998 00:23:17
Hi,

I got a loaner Kensington Thiking Mouse, and much to my surprise, it
works as a multi-button EMP(*) mouse.  The kernel is current as of May
12th, using HWDIRECT adb driver.

*: EMP stands for (Apple) Extended Mouse Protocol

The top left, top right, and bottom left buttons work as the button 1
(left), 2 (middle), and 3 (right), respectively.  The bottom right
button (button 4 under X) status is properly processed by the adb
driver but there's not much use of it under X.

This device will show up as two ADB devices at addresses 3 and 15.
When Kensington's driver is at work, the one at address 3 is active,
but otherwise the one at address 15 becomes active, and acts as an EMP
device.  I booted NetBSD without loading Kensington driver extension.
It may have something to do with NetBSD not panicking during the boot,
as others have reported it does when the Thinking Mouse is present.

This Thinking Mouse has FCC ID GV364101.  Other revisions may not work.

Just thought I'd let you know,

Ken