Subject: Re: How to make a program
To: Wayne Chang <wcx@earthlink.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/16/1998 12:43:51
Wayne Chang wrote:
> I've got source code, I've got the entire comp tarball installed, but I
> don't know what to do with either.

What do you want to do with it? :-)

> What does one do to turn some text files into a binary?

It kind of depends on which text files you're talking about.  Compiling
source code ranges from something as simple as a single file compiled like
this:

gcc -o hello hello.c

to something far more complex like the NetBSD kernel (or even horrendous
things like X).

Most complex programs have a Makefile with them, which is essentially a
recipe for turning the source into a usable executable.  Often, simply
typing 'make' in the directory with the Makefile is all you need.
Sometimes quite a bit more is needed.

So, what are you trying to compile?

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation