Subject: Re: Diskless Configuration?
To: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1998 11:58:58
On Fri, 15 May 1998, Ruschmeyer, John wrote:

> Silly question, though, how *does* one set up a diskless NetBSD/msc68k? This
> doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the install notes.

`man diskless' to get instructions on diskless booting in general.
however...

> Can the booter handle tftp or do I need a local kernel on a MacOS partition?
> Is the rest a typical diskless setup?

the kernel must be loaded from the Mac OS side, whether it's from an HFS
partition or an Appleshare volume (i do the latter, specifically using
netatalk on the server).

> I've also got a
> choice of Ethernet boards including an original Apple, a Kinetics EtherPort
> II, and a Cabletron E6100 (ST-NIC based, would love to get that running
> under the ae() driver).

either of the kinetics or apple cards should work.  the cabletron might be
a little tricky, given their tendency towards producing proprietary
hardware.

--scott