Subject: Re: Booting Help Requested
To: mwalker <mwalker@en.com>
From: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1998 16:50:15
> On Thu, 14 May 1998, mwalker wrote:
>
> > Could someone help me?
> >
> > I have read lots of FAQ's on the installation, booting and errors, and I
> > think I'm way over my head on this one. At the least, confused.
> >
> > I have recently installed OpenBSD 2.2 on my Quadra 630. I have it installed
> > into an exernal LaCie 2.1g HD, at SCSI ID 0. I partitioned it with
> > Silverlining 5.8.2 using their default A/UX v3 partitions which I have
> > resized. The four partitions are set up as follows:
> >
> > A/UX Root of 125meg.
> > Eschatology of 3meg.
> > User Slice 3 of 350meg.
> > Swap of 19meg.
> >
> > I used the NetSBD/Mac68k Installer 1.1g  to install almost all of the
> > necessary OpenBSD files:
> >
> > Base22.tar.gz
> > BSD-generic.tar.gz
> > etc22.tar.gz
> > text22.tar.gz
> >
> > After these files were installed, I then selected "Build Devices" from the
> > installer menu. Everything went smoothly, with one error being reported.
> > This is what my final screen in the NetSBD/Mac68k Installer looked like:
> >
> > MacBSD UFS file and install utility
> > <<SNIP instruction on installation>>
> > sd0 at scsi ID 0
> > sd1 at scsi ID 5
> > Partition read, SCSIID = 0
> > Mounting partition 'A' as /
> > sd0a: Root 'A/UX Root/ at 192 size 257212
> > sd0b: Swap 'Swap' at 257404 size 40960
> > sd0d: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 1021308 size 1244200
> > sd0e: Other (APPLE_UNIX_SVR2) 'Eschatology 1' at 298364 size 6144
> > sd0f: Other (APPLE_UNIX_SVR2) 'Free UNIX slice 3' at 304508 size 716800
> > sd0g: HFS_PART 'Whooper' at 2265508 size 1961000
> > sd0h: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 4226508 size 217
> > Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
I had that happen to me in the installer but everything still seemed to
work fine.

> > The last line is somewhat of a concern to me. I have my external CD ROM,
> > Zip drive and my LaCie HD on a daisy chain in that order. My HD is the last
> > in the chain and terminated. SCSI #5 is my Zip drive. My CD drive is seldom
> > used so the power is off most of the time. Whereas my Zip drive is on all
> > the time. Maybe I should put my HD as the first device?
> >
> > I rebooted the Mac setting it to the Base 8.1 extensions. Then I tried
> > using the BSD/Mac68k Booter 1.11.1 to boot into unix, using the default
> > values of the program, with no luck. The booter program keeps giving me
> > this:
> >
> > NetBSD/Mac68k Launch
> >
> > Debugging at level 0.
> > Booting. . .File "netbsd" not found.
> > Could not open kernel "(0,?)netbsd".
I don't know how it is with OpenBSD but shouldn't you install a kern.tgz
?? Smash me over my head if I'm wrong, but the booter doesn't find a
kernel, so either it's not there, or ... is it named openbsd in OpenBSD?
In that case you should fix the name of the kernel in the bootingoptions
part of the booter.

And then as Chuck mentioned I'm not shure how well NetBSD handles A/UX v3
partitions. I don't know whether you want to go through the trouble of
installing the *.tgz files again, but why don't you convert the
Partitions with the Mkfs to NetBSD-Type root and type usr partitions ?

This is another thing I don't see in the description of things you did,
did you format the drive ? To my understanding just partitioning it won't
help as you need to have the proper inode table and what not initialised.
Mkfs is your friend here too. (Also it is quite slow I must say if the
partionions get big ...)

Hope this helps

Henning

Henning Loeser            AG-Oberfl"achenphysik, Philipps-Uni-MR
Email:henning.loeser@physik.uni-marburg.de