Subject: Booting Help Requested
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: mwalker <mwalker@en.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1998 19:16:28
Could someone help me?

I have read lots of FAQ's on the installation, booting and errors, and I
think I'm way over my head on this one. At the least, confused.

I have recently installed OpenBSD 2.2 on my Quadra 630. I have it installed
into an exernal LaCie 2.1g HD, at SCSI ID 0. I partitioned it with
Silverlining 5.8.2 using their default A/UX v3 partitions which I have
resized. The four partitions are set up as follows:

A/UX Root of 125meg.
Eschatology of 3meg.
User Slice 3 of 350meg.
Swap of 19meg.

I used the NetSBD/Mac68k Installer 1.1g  to install almost all of the
necessary OpenBSD files:

Base22.tar.gz
BSD-generic.tar.gz
etc22.tar.gz
text22.tar.gz

After these files were installed, I then selected "Build Devices" from the
installer menu. Everything went smoothly, with one error being reported.
This is what my final screen in the NetSBD/Mac68k Installer looked like:

MacBSD UFS file and install utility
<<SNIP instruction on installation>>
sd0 at scsi ID 0
sd1 at scsi ID 5
Partition read, SCSIID = 0
Mounting partition 'A' as /
sd0a: Root 'A/UX Root/ at 192 size 257212
sd0b: Swap 'Swap' at 257404 size 40960
sd0d: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 1021308 size 1244200
sd0e: Other (APPLE_UNIX_SVR2) 'Eschatology 1' at 298364 size 6144
sd0f: Other (APPLE_UNIX_SVR2) 'Free UNIX slice 3' at 304508 size 716800
sd0g: HFS_PART 'Whooper' at 2265508 size 1961000
sd0h: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 4226508 size 217
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5

The last line is somewhat of a concern to me. I have my external CD ROM,
Zip drive and my LaCie HD on a daisy chain in that order. My HD is the last
in the chain and terminated. SCSI #5 is my Zip drive. My CD drive is seldom
used so the power is off most of the time. Whereas my Zip drive is on all
the time. Maybe I should put my HD as the first device?

I rebooted the Mac setting it to the Base 8.1 extensions. Then I tried
using the BSD/Mac68k Booter 1.11.1 to boot into unix, using the default
values of the program, with no luck. The booter program keeps giving me
this:

NetBSD/Mac68k Launch

Debugging at level 0.
Booting. . .File "netbsd" not found.
Could not open kernel "(0,?)netbsd".

********* Boot Stopped. *********

As I understand from the MacBSD FAQ, the booter is giving me an error
regarding the SCSI ID of the drive the partions are on. But it is indeed ID
0. I have tried to boot into openbsd, macbsd, and mac68k, but I get the
same error.

Okay, I give! What have I done wrong?

Thank you,
Mike