Subject: Re: routed FAQ?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1998 18:04:10
Well, AFAIK, routed only supports the rip v1 routing protocol.  So
unless the "main router" in your set-up is listening to rip, routed
won't do you much good.  Besides, the rip routing protocol is somewhat
"out of favor" these days, due in large part to its "chattiness" and
poor convergence (adapting to the new order when things change).

You'd probably be better off just using a static route on the "main
router".  And put a default route on your NetBSD router box that points
out via the "main router".

OTOH, if the "main router" is running a more modern routing protocol
(such as rip v2, or even OSPF, or [no flames from the rest of the
routing community, please] even ISIS), you could get a copy of gated
which builds right out of the box.  You can find gated at www.merit.edu
last I looked.  But be warned, setting up gated can be an exercise in
desperation - it isn't for the novice.

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> Is there a routed FAQ somewhere?  Maybe some examples?
>
> I'd like to set it up for a pretty trivial case where I have a 4-node
> subnet on a second interface and advertise the route to the main router
> (which is also the default route).  All the discussion in the man page
> seems way more complecated than my situation.
>
> Signature failed Preliminary Design Review.
> Feasibility of a new signature is currently being evaluated.
> h.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz@oxy.edu

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |