Subject: Re: Radius Rocket 33
To: Denny <rdhender@iupui.edu>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1998 15:23:50
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Denny wrote:

> on 5/13/98 10:55 AM Colin Wood digitized the following ; ^)~  &
> >
> >I seriously doubt that it works, and it's certainly not "supported" per
> >se.  However, I could always easily be wrong.  If you happen to have one,
> >please try it and let us know :-)
>
> I tried it once with my IIcx  and 1.2  It wouldn't boot.
>
> I'd consider loaning it if someone would like to work on it.

I believe the Radius Rocket was one of the few products that
used A/ROSE (Apple Real-time Operating System Extension).  It was NuBus
based, and required extensions in order to be active, otherwise it would
just sit in the slot and do nothing - it was really its own computer, with
its own memory and subsystems.  In fact, to use it you basically booted
twice.  And if you had RocketShare software, you could stick 2 or more
boards in the same computer and boot them all independantly, each in their
own window!  It was highly incompatible, as accelerators go, but a cool
idea.  (I rank it up there with the SE/30 video card that could take a
piggy-backed daughtercard that adapted the interal black and white screen
to a 256 greyscale screen.)  I'd say there's next to no hope of using the
Rocket under NetBSD ever.

--
Nathan Raymond
http://www.everythingmac.com