Subject: Re: About color X...
To: None <jm@altern.org>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/11/1998 21:30:16
On Mon, 11 May 98 13:05:33 +0200,
Jean Marie <jm@altern.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't ie be possible to change the CLUT during the MacOS boot in order
> to have the right X colors ? You said that the screen stayed in the same
> CLUT as it was during the MacOS part boot.

Yes, it would be possible, but the question is how.  Especially in a
clean way.  It is apparent that there has to be some kind of
coordination between Booter, kernel and X server, but this kind of
coordination would be obsolete when we have true video support.  Too
much trouble for too little gain, I guess.

Well, there is a way kernel doesn't have to be involved, but I don't
like the idea of having Booter and X server agree upon a fixed set of
predefined colors to use.  What if we wanted to change one or more of
the colors in the set later?  We'd have to modify *both* Booter and X
server.  Furthermore, this means we would get strange colors when
Booter and X server are out of sync.

IMO, it's not worth doing...

Ken