Subject: Re: building userland
To: Tom Rini <tmrini@ntplx.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/1998 00:33:12
On Fri, 8 May 1998, Tom Rini wrote:

> On Sat, 9 May 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 May 1998 15:12:42 -0400 (EDT),
> > Tom Rini <tmrini@ntplx.net> wrote:
> > > With all this talk about UVM, about how long would it take to build the
> > > whole thing on a c650 w/ 20ram and ~40swap?
> >
> > On my Q840av (68040@40MHz) with 72MB RAM, "make build" takes 24 hours,
> > more or less.  I would guess that it'll complete within 48 hours on a
> > C650 with 20MB RAM, provided that you dedicate the box during the
> > build.
>
> Ok, doesn't sound too bad.  Now, would I wanna sup src, security, and
> include for a rather complete rebuilt userland?

I now do doc, games, gnu, ksrc-common, ksrc-mac68k, regress, security,
src, and pkgsrc. "include" would be redundant.

There's some interesting stuff in doc, and it's being updated constantly,
so you shouldn't skip it.  "gnu" has also had a lot of changes since
1.3.1, so you would probably want to get that. You could easily skip
games, and regress, but they don't change often, so why not sup them, if
you have the disk space? If you're short on space, you could also probably
skip security. In that case, to switch from or to "domestic," all you have
to do is to re-enter all your passwords while in single-user mode
(assuming your ISP doesn't use Kerberos!). Also pkgsrc is not needed for
the build. What's more, the entire pkgsrc.tar.gz is <500k, so you could
save a few more MB by deleting pkgsrc, and untaring it back when you're
done.