Subject: Re: panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map since UVM
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1998 14:21:57
Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> Since the introduction of UVM on the mac68k port a few days ago, I've had
> a couple of panics when I loaded several applications.

You and several other people :-)

> A few minutes ago, I got the panic described below when starting a
> compilation under Emacs in an X session on my Q610 running NetBSD-current,
> with a kernel built from today's sup. Before UVM it has been able to take
> significantly greater loads without panic'ing.
>
> Machine: Q610, 52 MB of RAM, NetBSD/mac68k current, kernel as of today,
> userland a few days old.

[snip]

This is the same panic several other people are seeing, I believe.

> I send this message to the mac68k list in case this is a known problem,
> such as an indication of the need to change some parameters in the kernel
> configuration file.

The usual suggestion is to bump up NKMEMCLUSTERS, but I believe that
someone upped it to 4096, and they were still getting the problem.  I
think that there is a small problem with UVM....

> Of course, if the problem persists, the next step will be a PR )-:

Perhaps.  I don't think that Ken (or anyone else) has filed a PR yet, but
the port-master does know about it, I believe.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation