Subject: UVM panics
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1998 14:03:24
First please excuse the cross posting.

Now, I've built three kernels in the last day or so in an attempt to get
my system using the newly added UVM default. The first kernel, was
basically a GENERIC kernel with the drives mapped out the way I like them.
That one gave me a kernel panic when I tried to use my makeworld script to
recompile the userland with UVM. I then went to the mailing lists and saw
something about NKMEMCLUSTERS, so after reading options I set it to 4096
(that should be high enough right?). No dice, this kernel panic'd also.
So I wiped my kernel build directory, rebuilt config again, reconfiged my
kernel and started the build process. (Then went to bed) Later this
morning I installd my kernel, rebooted and again tried to build the
userland. Same effect, about 20 seconds and boom a nice panic.

This was annoying to say the least so I fired up the latest kernel with a
serial console, (took some doing to get even this to work) and just as I
was trying to reset my erase character, it panic'd again. (arg!)

So here is the nice log of my session to help someone figure this out.

# stty erase ^H
[ I'd say about 20 seconds ]
panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
db> t
_Debugger(40,1000,87fb48,223b8,220c8) + 6
_panic(220c8,106d600,0,0,c) + 50
_malloc(3a,1f,0,106d600,ffff0000) + 1ea
_uvm_map_clip_end(106d600,1fff040,0) + 24
_amap_copy(106d600,1fff040,1,1,ffffc000,ffffc001) + 8c
_uvmfault_amapcopy(87fcb4,106d600,8,ffffc000,3) + 134
_uvm_fault(106d600,ffffc000,0,3) + 1e8
_trap(8,4010709,ffffca84) + 52a
faultstkadj(87fee8,87fe2c,ffffca84,4260000) + 0
_sys_execve(1064a00,87ff88,87ff80) + 324
_syscall(3b) + 13e
_trap0() + e
db> reboot
syncing disks... done
NetBSD/mac68k does not trust itself to update the RTC on shutdown.
rebooting...

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain to me the scientific          |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   nature of the whammy." -Scully              ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account                          ||
||  the ingenuity of fools." -Gene Brown                               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||