Subject: Re: 68LC040 FPE, PR #5133, UVM, and a security hole?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1998 12:29:23
>Rolf Braun wrote:
>> OK. The -current kernel I tried before was compiled with MRG ADB. I also
>> tried the -current HWDIRECT kernel. This one got farther, it started to
>> boot multi-user, and then while loading the daemons the /etc/rc script
>> failed with the error "ld.so: bad magic" and returned to a single user
>> shell. I then tried an "ls -l /" which kicked me right into the debugger.
>> The filesystem was slightly corrupted when I brought it back up under
>> 1.3.1, but a quick fsck fixed all of that with no problem.
>
>Have you done a "make clean; make depend; make" in your kernel compile
>directory?  It just might be picking up some old junk....

No, I'm not compiling these. I can't, given the state of the FPU bug. I'm
getting these from the snapshot.

>> So, there's something clearly wrong with MRG ADB, and there's something
>> clearly wrong otherwise. Hmm.
>
>The strange thing is, the ADB support in 1.3.1 is virtually identical to
>that in -current.  Something else must be tickling a previously unknown
>bug :-(

UVM?

>> BTW: Does the UVM virtual memory system still have "additive" swap? In
>> other words, is the total memory available to userland programs built-in
>> memory plus swap (as it should be, and as it was under NetBSD 1.3.1), or
>> just swap (as it is under Mac OS)?
>
>It should still be additive.

Oh good.

--
- Rolf Braun - rbraun@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net/~rbraun/
- Sassy Software: cool software for your Macintosh or Apple IIgs

- Anyone attempting to post messages or send e-mail using my address
- without my permission will be held legally liable for forgery, and
- may be subject to legal action and severe legal penalties.