Subject: Re: 68LC040 FPE, PR #5133, UVM, and a security hole?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1998 12:06:55
>> Note to Ken: Please, please, PLEASE roll any changes you make to the FPE
>> into a custom build of 1.3.1, because -current seems to be very nicely
>> broken on my Mac right now.
>
>-current should be fixed shortly.  Really.  I'm compiling a fresh kernel
>now from the current sources to see if it'll crash on my Q700.

OK. The -current kernel I tried before was compiled with MRG ADB. I also
tried the -current HWDIRECT kernel. This one got farther, it started to
boot multi-user, and then while loading the daemons the /etc/rc script
failed with the error "ld.so: bad magic" and returned to a single user
shell. I then tried an "ls -l /" which kicked me right into the debugger.
The filesystem was slightly corrupted when I brought it back up under
1.3.1, but a quick fsck fixed all of that with no problem.

So, there's something clearly wrong with MRG ADB, and there's something
clearly wrong otherwise. Hmm.

BTW: Does the UVM virtual memory system still have "additive" swap? In
other words, is the total memory available to userland programs built-in
memory plus swap (as it should be, and as it was under NetBSD 1.3.1), or
just swap (as it is under Mac OS)?

--
- Rolf Braun - rbraun@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net/~rbraun/
- Sassy Software: cool software for your Macintosh or Apple IIgs

- Anyone attempting to post messages or send e-mail using my address
- without my permission will be held legally liable for forgery, and
- may be subject to legal action and severe legal penalties.