Subject: Re: 68LC040 FPE, PR #5133, UVM, and a security hole?
To: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1998 16:19:38
[on the LC040 bug]
> The workaround in that case is -msoft-float.

Yeah.  I don't really consider that a workaround...  ;-)

> I seem to remember that printf() uses FPU somehow...

I'm sure it does, but not for everything.  I don't think dt uses printf
for much of anything.  vi probably doesn't.

> Hmm, that's weird. Maybe it's something else? Still, judging from the other
> posts on the list, I'd keep UVM in a separate test track until it's proven
> itself.

This is always the trade-off.  If it doesn't go into -current, how much
do you think it will really be tested?  Are enough people going to be
using it to test it well?

> What if Joe User who isn't in wheel logs onto ttyp0 via telnet and tries to
> run X or dt?

That's a question.  I don't know.  What if you are using a serial
console and Joe User who isn't in wheel logs into ttyp0 and runs a
homegrown program to draw fractals on the console (legitimately).  ;-)

I'll let someone else talk about /dev/adb and /dev/grf stuff--this will
probably change with wscons.

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com