Subject: Re: beep
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1998 13:16:58
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	Ummm... I'm getting mixed corrections here. I've heard that an 880
> A would be an octave HIGHER and that it would be LOWER. Anybody wanna
> crack open a physics book?
>
> 	And if it IS higher, then the Q630 is using some kind of
> inversion, because an 880 A is sounding an octave lower than a 440 A. So,
> now I'm REALLY confused ;-)

Ok, I'm the one who started all of this confusion, so maybe I can settle
it :-)

>From Inside Macintosh: Sound, square-wave sounds have 3 attributes:
pitch, amplitude, and duration.  For the .Sound driver, pitch is specified
by what the book says is a MIDI note value.  From the description in
various header files, this value is actually labeled "count" in the .Sound
driver and is the _period_, not the _frequency_ of the square-wave sound.
So, a sound with a period of 880 has a lower pitch/frequency than one
with a period of 440.  BTW, pitch is the subjective interpretation of
frequency (at least that's what Inside Mac defines it to be :-)

Where the confusion really stems from is the fact that the current ite and
asc code refer to the value that gets passed around as the bell frequency.
I didn't rename this variable when I wrote beep.c, so I also described it
as the frequency, even tho it is actually the period.

Does this make sense?

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation

P.S.  Sorry for the confusion :-)