Subject: Re: 68LC040 FPE, PR #5133, UVM, and a security hole?
To: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1998 15:27:41
On Thu, 7 May 1998, Rolf Braun wrote:

> >[on the LC040 bug]
> >> The workaround in that case is -msoft-float.
> >
> >Yeah.  I don't really consider that a workaround...  ;-)
>
> Well, it would work as a last-ditch fix.

	Its also a nice option for those without any FPU - for speed
	reasons, but it would be nice for the FPU to work at least for
	long enough for them to compile their binaries :)

> Hmm. Maybe the GENERIC kernel should have things like UVM and then there
> should be an oh-if-GENERIC-doesn't-work-try-this kernel?

	The trouble is splitting that n ways
	We already ahve NCR/SBC and HWDIRECT/MRG, which gives four
	different options. Adding UVM/old-vm to that mix brings it up to
	eight...

	I'd expect any problems with UVM to be nailed pretty quickly
	(hope hope), so with any luck it won't be an issue :)

		David/absolute

                  -=-  "Maybe god will cover up his eyes"  -=-