Subject: Re: beep
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1998 17:47:15
In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.980507130132.13419C-100000@user2.teleport.com>, SamMaEl writes:

>	Ummm... I'm getting mixed corrections here. I've heard that an 880
>A would be an octave HIGHER and that it would be LOWER. Anybody wanna
>crack open a physics book?

880 Hz is 1 octave higher than 440 Hz.  Absolutely no question about it.
If you doubt me, see for example, "the science of sound", I forget the
authors name, or any physics book (or come to my lab and we'll hook up
a signal generator at 440 Hz to a speaker and then set it to 880 Hz and
hear that 880 is an octave higher).

>	And if it IS higher, then the Q630 is using some kind of
>inversion, because an 880 A is sounding an octave lower than a 440 A. So,
>now I'm REALLY confused ;-)

On my IIci, increasing the first argument to beep does in fact decrease
the pitch which only says that argument is not proportional to frequency
but perhaps the period (which is 1/freq).

Hope the clears it up.

--Dan