Subject: Re: 68LC040 FPE, PR #5133, UVM, and a security hole?
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1998 18:14:13
>On Thu, 7 May 1998, Rolf Braun wrote:
>
>> They're consistent in that they occur at relatively the same frequencies in
>> the same binaries. They don't always occur in the same place.
>>
>> BTW, how stable is gcc with the FPE bug? Anyone tried it?
>
>	I've gotten the same thing with a PB540c. It runs great in
>MacOS... I've played Warcraft on it for hours on end without an error
>using SoftwareFPU, and used other programs that I KNOW use FP and had no
>problems. So, I'm assuming it's not a buggy LC040.
>
>	I've tried using gcc and never been able to compile even a simple
>program.

Damn! I was hoping I'd be able to compile some of the essential binaries
with -msoft-float when I get some more disk space.

>	I've tried recompiling libm and that hasn't helped either. And I
>have noticed symptoms the same as Rolf describes... getting core dumps
>from ls and ps, but I've also gotten them from vi. But sometimes they will
>core dump and others they won't. It does seem almost random, but at a
>constant state of randomness, if that makes any sense.
>
>	I heard that Ken was working on FPE again.... any word Ken?

I think Ken has a loaner LC575 now, so maybe it'll be fixed soon? We can
only hope... :)

Note to Ken: Please, please, PLEASE roll any changes you make to the FPE
into a custom build of 1.3.1, because -current seems to be very nicely
broken on my Mac right now.

--
- Rolf Braun - rbraun@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net/~rbraun/
- Sassy Software: cool software for your Macintosh or Apple IIgs

- Anyone attempting to post messages or send e-mail using my address
- without my permission will be held legally liable for forgery, and
- may be subject to legal action and severe legal penalties.