Subject: Re: another sound survey...
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1998 11:57:14
On Thu, 7 May 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> SamMaEl wrote:
> > 	"Higher" frequency, lower pitch. Just like when you pluck a
> > string, then shorten the string by a half, the note will sound an octave
> > higher. Or, so said Pythagoras. And just the same, cutting the
> > frequency in half raises the pitch an octave. So, 880 Hz would be the A
> > above middle C, and 440 Hz would be the A an octave higher than the 880 A.
>
> Ah.  I'm glad someone knows something about music and sound.  I've learned
> quite a bit in the few months since I've started this, but I'm still
> basically clueless :-)  Thanks for the explanation.

This is incorrect - the A that is one octave higher than "A above middle C"
has a frequency that is twice as high.  440 is NOT an octave higher than
880, 440 is one octave LOWER.

Think speakers:  Bass (low pitch) response is in the 20-30 Hz range,
while the higher pitch tones are handles by your tweeters in the 12-20
KHz range.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |