Subject: Re: Quadra 610 fails to boot
To: <>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1998 13:42:55
Colin Wood wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 May 1998, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> >
> > > How about trying to boot from a gzipped kernel in the Booter folder? If it
> > > works, it would tend to exonerate MacOS and the Booter, and then you could
> > > look for problems with the NetBSD partition, (besides the obvious).
> >
> > Okay, I've tried both netbsd-GENERIC.gz and netbsd-GENERICSBC.gz from
> > 1.3.1.  These were both ftp'd in binary mode directly to the Mac, and they
> > seemed to gunzip without trouble, so they're probably not corrupt.  Both
> > make the machine hang.
> >
> > I don't actually have a BSD partition at this point, since I did a
> > re-install of MacOS; I'm assuming that the kernel will at least be able to
> > autoconfig without a partition to boot off of.
>
> Ah.  I've noticed a problem with the Booter sometimes not liking gzipped
> kernel files (well, gzip -9, that is).  Try gunzipping them and see if
> that works.  Just make sure you gunzip them in binary mode....

Obviously, I'm blind and didn't see the "gunzip fine" part.  However,
please make sure that you gunzip them in binary mode.  The default for
MacGzip is to gunzip in text mode (either that or it does CR->LF
translation by default).  This will leave you with a fairly unusable
kernel file.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation