Subject: Re: New src/bin files for UVM?
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1998 11:34:48
On Tue, 5 May 1998 11:33:13 -0700 (PDT),
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:
> Michael R Zucca wrote:
> >
> > If you're specifying -m68040 the big speedup is probably comming from gcc
> > being smart enough to use the MOVE16 instruction in programs like dt.
> > MOVE16 lets you move blocks of memory around. Perfect for blitting
> > graphics onto the screen. If you have the disk space you might want to
> > try compiling the X server!
>
> Yeesh.....that might be interesting.

But, does our GCC know about MOVE16?

> Compiling X takes so damn long,
> tho, primarily b/c I can't seem to find a way to short-circuit doing a
> full "make build" of the whole damn xsrc tree.  Maybe now that I've
> compiled and installed X from scratch, it'll work, but I'm not so sure...

Perhaps there's a better, more efficient way, but all I did to build
my server was "make Makefiles" at the top, then I went down to
programs/Xserver directory to do "make".  It made all the Makefiles
that I didn't need, but it's probably the easiest and safest.

Hmm, I don't think I had to build the libs in order to build the
server.  Some of the subdirectories in lib don't even seem touched at
all (other than Makefiles).

Cheers,

Ken