Subject: Re: New src/bin files for UVM?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1998 13:36:05
Michael R Zucca wrote:
> > almost as fast.  I'll have to try -pipe, tho.  Anything to reduce kernel
> > compile time :-)
>
> Exactly!
>
> > Yeesh.....that might be interesting.  Compiling X takes so damn long,
> > tho, primarily b/c I can't seem to find a way to short-circuit doing a
> > full "make build" of the whole damn xsrc tree.  Maybe now that I've
> > compiled and installed X from scratch, it'll work, but I'm not so sure...
>
> U don't suppose we could convince the source packaging folks to make a
> server only distribution for those of us who want to server hack?

Well, the thing is that the X server needs to have most of the X libraries
and stuff around as well (I think), so I don't know just how easy it is to
simply pull the server out of the rest of the xc distribution.  I haven't
actually tried to build a server now that I've got the new (i.e.
XFree-based) X sources and libs installed.  It might "just work" if the
Makefile paths are setup correctly (this was the problem the last time I
tried).

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation