Subject: Re: New src/bin files for UVM?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1998 11:33:13
Michael R Zucca wrote:
> > Ditto. I also set CFLAGS to "-O2 -m68040 -pipe" in my environment. This
> > affects the kernel, userland, and all but a few packages. The -pipe option
> > can use a lot of memory, and I sometimes have to tweak the ulimits on my
> > shell to get lib/libc to compile straight through.
>
> Interesting. How high do you have to set the ulimit to use -pipe?

Ah, that's what -pipe does.  I just have /tmp mounted in swap and TMPDIR
set to /tmp.  Since I have 68MB of RAM, I rarely swap, so it's probably
almost as fast.  I'll have to try -pipe, tho.  Anything to reduce kernel
compile time :-)

> > filed a pr. For the lazy, I seem to remember getting the biggest
> > performance increase from recompiling the shell(s), and also anything else
> > that involves drawing to the screen, like dt or pine.
>
> If you're specifying -m68040 the big speedup is probably comming from gcc
> being smart enough to use the MOVE16 instruction in programs like dt.
> MOVE16 lets you move blocks of memory around. Perfect for blitting
> graphics onto the screen. If you have the disk space you might want to
> try compiling the X server!

Yeesh.....that might be interesting.  Compiling X takes so damn long,
tho, primarily b/c I can't seem to find a way to short-circuit doing a
full "make build" of the whole damn xsrc tree.  Maybe now that I've
compiled and installed X from scratch, it'll work, but I'm not so sure...

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation