Subject: Re: New src/bin files for UVM?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1998 14:21:10
> Ditto. I also set CFLAGS to "-O2 -m68040 -pipe" in my environment. This
> affects the kernel, userland, and all but a few packages. The -pipe option
> can use a lot of memory, and I sometimes have to tweak the ulimits on my
> shell to get lib/libc to compile straight through.

Interesting. How high do you have to set the ulimit to use -pipe?

> filed a pr. For the lazy, I seem to remember getting the biggest
> performance increase from recompiling the shell(s), and also anything else
> that involves drawing to the screen, like dt or pine.

If you're specifying -m68040 the big speedup is probably comming from gcc
being smart enough to use the MOVE16 instruction in programs like dt.
MOVE16 lets you move blocks of memory around. Perfect for blitting
graphics onto the screen. If you have the disk space you might want to
try compiling the X server!