Subject: Re: New src/bin files for UVM?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1998 12:11:39
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> brian wrote:
> > By the way, is NetBSD-1.3.1 compiled for 68040
> > optimization?
>
> No, how could it be?  You'd be screwing over all the '020 and '030 users.
>
> If you want, you can certainly compile your own kernel without unneeded
> options and with a few added ones.  I have:
>
> makeoptions     COPTS="-O2 -m68040"
>
> at the top of my kernel config file, and I comment out these lines:
>
> #options        M68030
> #options        M68020          # Must have 68851 PMMU

Ditto. I also set CFLAGS to "-O2 -m68040 -pipe" in my environment. This
affects the kernel, userland, and all but a few packages. The -pipe option
can use a lot of memory, and I sometimes have to tweak the ulimits on my
shell to get lib/libc to compile straight through.

I've also experimented with -O3, but I don't use it lately in the general
case, as it seems to be broken (groff won't compile with it). Yes, I've
filed a pr. For the lazy, I seem to remember getting the biggest
performance increase from recompiling the shell(s), and also anything else
that involves drawing to the screen, like dt or pine.