Subject: Re: Accelerator cards to sell ?
To: Vincent BARAT <Vincent.Barat@ansf.alcatel.fr>
From: Roy Wood <roy@centricsystems.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1998 11:48:51
>I'm loooking for an accelerator card for my Centris 650.
>I've heard about Sonnet QuadDoubler cards and I'd like
>to know if there are supported by NetBSD and if someone here has one
>of these cards to sell ?

The Sonnet cards are very nice, but there's a much cheaper solution if
you have a C650.  With only about $10-$20 worth of parts, you can
overclock it to 40MHz and get the same or better performance than you'd
get with a QuadDoubler.  And if you don't feel like assembling the
clock-chipping hardware yourself, then you can buy a preassembled one for
about $50-$75 from a number of sources (including Sonnet).

I have a QuadDoubler in a Centris 610 and it works very well (including
running NetBSD).  As well, I've overclocked my C650 to 40Mhz and it too
works perfectly (also including NetBSD).

I paid about $225US for the QuadDoubler and about $15US for the parts
needed to overclock the C650, and the C650 is slightly faster than the
QuadDoubled C610.  :-(

If you want more info, take a look at the docs in the Info/Hardware
directory of your favourite info-mac mirror.  There's also a
clock-chipping homepage, but I don't recall the URL offhand.

-Roy