Subject: New src/bin files for UVM?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: brian <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/1998 21:47:18
--------------F121E4E4850E3927BAC29EC1

Jason Thorpe (@nas.nasa.gov) posted this:

> NetBSD/{hp300,mac68k,mvme68k} switchs to
> UVM virtual memory system

I have sendmail bugs in netbsd-1.3, which the
faq suggests upgrading to netbsd-1.3.1. Does
Jason's post  mean we need to download some
src  files to compile, or just binaries on top of
netbsd-1.3.1? Should i wait for UVM before
installing netbsd-1.3.1?

Does UVM mean the kernel will  no longer dump
into db> for a mandatory reboot and fsck, but
as a bogus program dump its registers like in
Windows95.

By the way, is NetBSD-1.3.1 compiled for 68040
optimization? I saw a control panel once in MacOS
that allowed the CPU registers to be altered for 040
performance, or MUCH slower for 68000-68030
compiled programs. When i look at the include
files it appears it is set up for 68020, but many
makefiles compile with a gcc flag for 68020-68040
optimization. Is that how the kernel binary are at
ftp.netbsd.org?

Thanks for any help or directions for help.
Sincerely,

Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi@csulb.edu
Q700, netbsd-1.3, X11R6

--------------F121E4E4850E3927BAC29EC1

<HTML>
Jason Thorpe (@nas.nasa.gov) posted this:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>NetBSD/{hp300,mac68k,mvme68k} switchs to
UVM virtual memory system</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BR>I have sendmail bugs in netbsd-1.3, which the
<BR>faq suggests upgrading to netbsd-1.3.1. Does
<BR>Jason's post&nbsp; mean we need to download some
<BR>src&nbsp; files to compile, or just binaries on top of
<BR>netbsd-1.3.1? Should i wait for UVM before
<BR>installing netbsd-1.3.1?

<P>Does UVM mean the kernel will&nbsp; no longer dump
<BR>into db> for a mandatory reboot and fsck, but
<BR>as a bogus program dump its registers like in
<BR>Windows95.

<P>By the way, is NetBSD-1.3.1 compiled for 68040
<BR>optimization? I saw a control panel once in MacOS
<BR>that allowed the CPU registers to be altered for 040
<BR>performance, or MUCH slower for 68000-68030
<BR>compiled programs. When i look at the include
<BR>files it appears it is set up for 68020, but many
<BR>makefiles compile with a gcc flag for 68020-68040
<BR>optimization. Is that how the kernel binary are at
<BR>ftp.netbsd.org?

<P>Thanks for any help or directions for help.
<BR>Sincerely,

<P>Brian Wildasinn
<BR>bwildasi@csulb.edu
<BR>Q700, netbsd-1.3, X11R6</HTML>