Subject: Re: dt
To: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/1998 13:17:18
Tim Bessie wrote:
> At 03:08 PM 5/4/98 -0400, Michael R Zucca wrote:
> >> Yes! Yes! Please!  Us powerbook owners (16-grays) would be
> >
> >I'd imagine it would be tough to distinguish between the different gray
> >levels when you're just doing terminal text.
>
> When you've only GOT 16 grays (I don't have a color monitor
> to use), you'd be suprised at the difference being able to
> utilize them can give.

But on a terminal window, how would you utilize them?  I mean, you have
foreground and background, what else do you really need?

> At least, _I'd_ be able to tell the
> difference.  Of course, an X server that understood 4-bit
> depths would be wonderful, too.  Not that I'm complaining. ;-)

Well, the sources are available, more or less :-)

> >Temping ;-) but intvid is currently at the head of the NetBSD programming
> >queue for me. I'll save dt optimization for after. Besides, wscons may be
> >so nice that dt will be obsolete!
>
> I haven't heard about wscons... what is it?

The new wscons is Chris Demetriou's machine-indendent workstation console
code (based somewhat on the original port-alpha wscons code).  Additional
work was done on it by Matt Green, I think.  My understanding is that it
includes support for multiple consoles (i.e. if you have 2 monitors/
keyboards/mice attached to your Mac, you could use 2 separate consoles at
the same time).  It should also support things like virtual terminals and
keyboard remapping.  I believe that both the i386 and alpha ports are
currently using it.  From what I've heard, it's pretty damn cool :-)

I don't think there is a lot of documentation on it past the code itself,
which should be in -current's sys/dev/wscons, I believe.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation