Subject: Re: Color X on a Q700 internal video
To: Jean Marie <jm@altern.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/1998 09:32:28
This is normal.  Unless you're using the video LKM, or the SLOTMAN
kernel, there's no support in NetBSD/mac68k for setting the color
palette.  So, you're stuck with whatever colors MacOS decided to load
into your video DAC.

If you boot up in 16-bit mode, the server can use direct color (5 bits
per channel, I think, or maybe it's 565).  Otherwise, boot up in 8-bit
greyscale.  (This should have been explained in quite some detail in the
README that came with the OSFA X server, but I'll admit that you really
need to read that document _at least_ three times, end to end, before it
all makes sense!)

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jean Marie wrote:

> Ok. I got the OSFA X server, and booted in 256 colors.
> As these are my first steps under UNIX, I don't know what are the usual X
> colors.
> I get light green and light purple in my windows' title bar.
> if  (this is normal,)
>      {
>     supported_hardware=supported_harware+"Q700 internal video";
>      }
> else
>      {
>      here is the log...
>      }
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: libc.so.12.20: minor version >= 25 expected,
> using it anyway
> /dev/grf0: Couldn't get video mode information via ROM driver.
> 	This is not a fatal error.
> 	I gather there is no ROM driver support for this screen...
> 	I will treat this screen as StaticGray or TrueColor.
> Screen 0 at 0x423a000, 640 by 480, 8 bpp, rowB 1024, fbbase 0.
> rootVisual = 34 ((null))
> rootDepth = 8
> visuals->class = 0 (StaticGray)
> visuals->bitsPerRGBValue = 8
> visuals->ColormapEntries = 256
> visuals->nplanes = 8
> visuals->redMask = 0x0
> visuals->greenMask = 0x0
> visuals->blueMask = 0x0
> visuals->offsetRed = 0x0
> visuals->offsetGreen = 0x0
> visuals->offsetBlue = 0x0
>

> Also, you can add this cd-rom (follows info given during the boot) :
> cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <SONY CD-ROM CDU-76S, 1.1a> SCSI2 5/cdrom
> removable
>
> Jean Marie Bernadet

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |