Subject: Re: What part does Mac OS play in MacBSD?
To: None <rgfischer@mail.hac.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/1998 10:57:24
On Mon, 4 May 1998 rgfischer@mail.hac.com wrote:
>      I'm curious what part the Mac OS plays in running MacBSD.
>      I know you want virtual memory off, video set to 1 bit, etc...  but
>      how much of the OS stay's in RAM once NetBSD is booted up and running
>      on the machine?

MacOS is just used to initialize some stuff and get some info about the
machine... once NetBSD is up, MacOS is completely gone and unused (well,
with MRG_ADB enabled, the Mac's ROMs are used for ADB support, but that
doesn't rely on any part of MacOS staying around in RAM).

>      I'm running NetBSD on a relatively slow Centris 610 that has OS 8.1
>      loaded on it.  Would it make sense to put a minimal System 7.5.1, 7.1
>      or even 7.0 System folder on the system?  These OS's take up typically
>      2MB of RAM instead of 8MB.  Does it make a difference?

Sure, that should work fine... I seem to remember an older version of the
booter that would crash with a minimal system, but I believe that bug's
been fixed. As for whether it'll make a difference, it'll make booting
faster and use less HD space, but there's no difference once NetBSD is up.
I occasionally use MacOS for some stuff, so I have a pretty full OS 8.1
installed, but if I know I wanna boot NetBSD, I just shift-boot.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++