Subject: Re: What part does Mac OS play in MacBSD?
To: None <rgfischer@mail.hac.com>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/1998 11:54:35
In message <0ESF00D2DVCOFW@mail.hac.com>, rgfischer@mail.hac.com writes:

>     I'm curious what part the Mac OS plays in running MacBSD.
>     I know you want virtual memory off, video set to 1 bit, etc...  but
>     how much of the OS stay's in RAM once NetBSD is booted up and running
>     on the machine?
none of it stays.  virtual memory needs to be off to let the booter put
code in memory (real memory) and then kick out MacOs

>     I'm running NetBSD on a relatively slow Centris 610 that has OS 8.1
>     loaded on it.  Would it make sense to put a minimal System 7.5.1, 7.1
>     or even 7.0 System folder on the system?  These OS's take up typically
>     2MB of RAM instead of 8MB.  Does it make a difference?
Only in that it probably takes longer to boot newer MacOs's so you have to
wait longer to get to NetBSD.  Actually I have observed that on my machine
I have to boot with extensions off with 7.0 to boot NetBSD, but can boot
with extensions and go into NetBSD with 7.5.3

Dan