Subject: Re: Q900 tests
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1998 22:08:19
SamMaEl wrote:
> 	Well, I have a PB540c which I just tried to use... but for some
> reason it's not wanting to work at all now. Are the serial ports IOP too?

No, they are not.

> Because, the machine appears to "freeze" after the boot takes over and
> where it would normally drop into NetBSD, but nothing comes up on the
> serial console. I'm using ZTerm... 9600 8N1... I can't edit /etc/ttys
> though, without having a serial console already ;-)

Have you tried to set the "hold serial ports open" option (or whatever it
is) in the serial dialog of the Booter?  I believe that this is necessary
for PowerBooks b/c they turn them off normally.

> I guess I could try
> booting with the PB540c and see if I can go long enough to edit /etc/ttys
> to use a serial console and hope vi won't segfault ;-)

I'd suggest using the Installer to cpout the file, edit in something like
BBEdit, and then cpin with the Installer again.

> 	What are the changes that I will need to /etc/ttys? I've never
> needed to use a serial console before so I've never done it.

You need to turn ttye0 off and turn either tty00 or tty01 (modem or
printer) on.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation