Subject: Re: Q900 tests
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1998 21:37:21
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 1998 20:05:43 -0700 (PDT),
> SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com> wrote:
> >
> > 	Out of boredom, I tried booting NetBSD on a spare external disk I
> > have lying around on my Q900. I was surprised, because I tried it a few
> > months ago and booting caused the computer to just automatically reboot,
> > as if I had rebooted normally. This time I actually got a console! Woo,
> > progress!
> [...]
>
> Interesting.  I somehow doubt the machine was really `hung' as you
> describe.  What if you booted the machine with serial console?  You
> have another NetBSD box which you can use as the console, right?

	Well, I have a PB540c which I just tried to use... but for some
reason it's not wanting to work at all now. Are the serial ports IOP too?
Because, the machine appears to "freeze" after the boot takes over and
where it would normally drop into NetBSD, but nothing comes up on the
serial console. I'm using ZTerm... 9600 8N1... I can't edit /etc/ttys
though, without having a serial console already ;-) I guess I could try
booting with the PB540c and see if I can go long enough to edit /etc/ttys
to use a serial console and hope vi won't segfault ;-)

	What are the changes that I will need to /etc/ttys? I've never
needed to use a serial console before so I've never done it.

	Thanks!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!