Subject: Help with new ethernet driver? (Macronix)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Bennett <lists@lunedale.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1998 10:20:02
I'm running NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Performa 475 (with 68040), but the
ethernet card doesn't seem to be supported. The output of dmesg is:

nubus0 at mainbus0
nubus0 slot e: EtherNet card (Vendor: TFL LAN INC., Part E410
    NuBus/E420 LC PDS,Ethernet Adapter) Type: 0004 0001 011e 0100
    not configured

The card is based on the Macronix MX98803A, which is itself based on
the MX98902A ethernet controller. It works happily under Mac OS with
nothing other than standard system software.

Can anyone guess whether there might be a chance of getting this
working using one of the existing drivers? I've already got data
sheets, output of the slots program, and the system source code (when
I figure out how to patch 1.3 to 1.3.1). I notice that in
arch/mac68k/dev/nubus.h is the line

#define    NUBUS_DRHW_INTERLAN  0x0100

which seems to imply that one of the supported cards has the same
hardware as mine, but maybe this is irrelevant? (The software type,
0x011e, doesn't match any others.)

Any help would be much appreciated,
Chris.