Subject: Help! bad crash...
From: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1998 02:39:48
Hello,

I have two problems:
   1) My system failed an fsck, and now won't even go into single user mode.
      It stops during the boot state and claims that there is :
          no fs for sd1 (dev 0x408)

   2) I can't boot my backup, which is on a Jaz disk. It crashes into the
      debugger right after "Enter path for root shell, or return for sh:"
      with the message:
         panic: ffs_read: type 0
         stopped @ _Debugger 0x6 unlk a6

The problems must be separate b/c the jaz disk is a full copy of my
system from months ago, and the crash just happened yesterday.

Both problems behave the same on either an SE/30 or a Quadra 660av, and
on the SE/30 it doesn't matter if I use an SBC kernel or a regular kernel.

I can read all of the file systems on either drive just fine in the mini
shell of the Installer, under MacOS.

The original problem was that running on the main drive, the system
crashed into the debugger under presumably normal circumstances (had been
up for probably 5 weeks since last reboot, nothing happening at the time
of crash, as far as I know). The crash message said something about an FS
problem, and on the next boot, there were tons of errors found by fsck.
There were about a hundred files that fsck said needed to be removed,
including the kernel itself.

Any ideas how I can get this thing to recognize the fs on my main drive,
or get it to stop crashing into the debugger on the jaz?

Thanks!

-Capt Avram Dorfman
Chief, Network Operations
email: dorfman@pentagon.mil