Subject: Re: Can't set defaultroute: file already exists.
To: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1998 10:59:35
On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 06:21:12PM -0700, Roger Fischer wrote:

> I've decided to try the PPP-DOD scripts.  It seems to dial and connect
> alright, but I'm getting the error
>
> can't set defaultroute: file already exists

Okay. *Without* your ppp connection up, run "route show" or "route -n show"
and you'll see a "default" entry, from the sounds of it. The existence of
this route is keeping ppp from adding a default route when it connects.

You can kill the default route with "route delete default". You can add
it in after you're done with ppp, assuming you want it then, with "route
add default 123.456.78.9" with whatever you need substituted in for the
numbers.

The trick will be finding out where the route's being added in the first
place. "grep default /etc/* | less" would be a start.

Good luck.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments