Subject: Re: ethernet trouble (fwd)
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/1998 12:43:12
On Fri, 1 May 1998, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> There's nothing you can do as far as configuration goes. What kind of
> comm-slot card are you using? I think the one that the other 630 user had
> was a card with a Sonic chip on it. I think the driver had to be modified
> slightly to deal with the 630's comm slot. It's possible the same thing
> will have to be done for the ae driver but I don't know enough about the
> ethernet driver code to know if the modification was done for all ethernet
> cards or just the Sonic driver. The driver obviously *finds* the ethernet
> but more may have to be done for your specific card.
>
> Does anybody have a better idea of what's going on in the ethernet driver?

	Yes, awhile back I worked with Allen Briggs to get the CS ethernet
working on my Q630. I'm using an Apple CS Twisted Pair card right now, and
it works beautifully. So, if it IS a CS card then NetBSD should find it.
The code to recognize the Comm Slot was done back around 1.2G, though I
don't think it actually made it into the sources until 1.3.

	Is the card you are using a Comm Slot card? Because the Q630 also
has an LC/PDS slot... and I haven't heard of any users using Q630 LC
ethernet.

	And yes, the card I have uses a Sonic chip, so uses the sn driver.
You may or may not have problems with an ae driver. Maybe if you send the
output of dmesg to the list, someone will be able to help you out better.
It may be that something needs to be done within the kernel to add support
for your card.

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!