Subject: Re: ethernet trouble (fwd)
To: None <gboissie@ifhamy.insa-lyon.fr>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/1998 11:07:28
On Fri, 1 May 1998 gboissie@ifhamy.insa-lyon.fr wrote:

> sorry i forgot to put the enclose :)

This error says there's something wrong with the ethernet card/driver.
Since it sounds like it's a Communications Slot card, the problem's
probably that we're not setting or clearing interrupts right.

> i am using netbsd1.3.1 .
>
> if i try to had in rc.ifconfig.ae0 media UTP i get SIOCSIFMEDIA: device
> not configured, .... network in unreacheable.
>
> you 'll find include documents whitch contain th following information
>
> the boot message is in the boot.msg file
> the result of netstat -rn is in the stat file
> the result of th ifconfig -m ae0 is in the config file
> the /etc/ifconfig.ae0 is in the ifconfig.ae0 file
> the /etc/resolv.conf in in the resolv.conf file

Everything in the above files looks ok, assuming the netmask's supposed to
be fffffc00 (strange, but ok).

> the /etc/rc.conf is in the rc.conf file

Except for your setting the "domain_name" in rc.conf. It's not documented
well, but that "domainname" is the NIS domain, not the DNS domain. So if
you're not using NIS (a.k.a. Yellow Pages), then you shouldn't set it.

This configuration error's not the real problem. Something's wrong with
the driver for that card.

> the /etc/hosts is in the hotst file

Take care,

Bill