Subject: Re: X DEATH
To: None <seth@eznet.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/1998 01:36:15
On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:37:38 -0400 (EDT),
Seth <seth@eznet.net> wrote:
> what does connection to :0.0 broke mean ?
> this happens when I do a startx command
> netbsd 1.3.1 mac IIcx 20 megs 1bit b&w monitor settings

You're not in single-user mode, are you?  X server wants to create
UNIX-domain sockets in /tmp, so you need to mount filesystems (at
least the one that contains /tmp) in read-write mode.  The proper way
to do this is go to multi-user mode either by telling Booter to do so,
or by exiting single-user shell.

If you are already in multi-user mode, check /tmp permission to see if
X server has write permission to the directory.

If all seem OK, check if you are getting core dumps.  In that case,
I'm not all that sure what your fix is, but if you're running one of
those color X servers, switching to the B&W server may help.

Hope this helps,

Ken