Subject: Re: X-Server ?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/1998 01:45:36
On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > Unfortunately, Apple didn't design the Q700 video circuitry to do 16-bit,
> > only 1,2,4,8, and 24.
>
> Hmmm. I'll have to disagree. The DAFB series of video controllers can all
> do the full compliment of depths if there's enough VRAM to back it up at the
> current resolution. I'll double check this but I'm positive that the DAFB
> is capable of 16 bit mode. Its descendant, the MemC, on the Q650 can do it
> for certain (I can walk down the hall and test that :)

The MemC fixed two long-standing "implimentation oversights" (or call them
bugs if you like) in the Q700 - 1024x768 res support, and 16-bit support.
Yes, that's right, the Q700 supports 832x624 and 1152x870, but NOT
1024x768!  In 1991, no Mac supported 16-bit color - including the Q700 and
Q900, so that's not really a bug, more an oversight.  I suppose 1024x768
support could be called an "omission"? ;)

So yeah, in the 24 months seperating the introduction of the Q700 and
Q650, Apple fixed those two issues.  The only other diff is that the max
VRAM in the Q700 is 2MB vs. 1MB in the Q650.

--
Nathan Raymond
http://www.everythingmac.com