Subject: Re: Ethernet card questions
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1998 10:16:41
At 5:38 PM -0500 4/28/98, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Eric Damien Berna wrote:
>
>> I don't have a MacWarehouse catalog to check, but I'm guessing that the
>> cards you see pictured are PCI cards. PCI is the primary expansion bus for
>> new Apple hardware and is very popular on other manufacturers' computers.
>> PCI cards and PDS cards use the cheap edge of the epoxy circuit board
>> connectors, which is why they look similar.
>
>Unless they've started making PCI connectors attached at right angles to
>the actual card and the connector consists of three rows of 32 pins, it's
>a PDS interface.  I can see confusing PCI and NuBus or the nefarious Comm
>Slot, but processor-direct is pretty distinctive.  And I'm not sure what
>you mean by 'cheap edge'.

Oops, I'm wrong on my guess.

Maybe adding some hyphens will make my description clearer, "cheap
edge-of-the-epoxy-circuit-board connectors." By cheap I mean that to
manufacture these connectors pads only need to be printed on the edge of
the epoxy board which saves the cost of making all those pins and the
plastic housing and attaching that to the board. I thought that Apple used
this type of connector for PDS slots, but I've never seen the inside of an
SE30, which was the computer you were discussing.

Cowering in the corner I plead:
	I was wrong. I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me.

Eric Damien Berna
Thiel Visual Design
Phone: 414.271.0775
Email: eric@thiel.com