Subject: X-Server ?
To: NetBSD-List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1998 16:41:41
Hi everyone,
once in a while I get the prove that I'm just clueless, so please bare
with me and I'd appreciate any help.

Being bored of my 256 grays X I installed 2MB of videoram into my Q700.
Im running the Xmac68k_OSFA Xserver and I believed that booting into 16,7
Millions of colors would give me color X.
But it didn't. I got a screwed display shifted to the top with I think
the same thing shown 4 times.
Booting in 256 colors -> X runs ok just the colors are wrong as expected.
Booting into 256 Grays -> X runs as it did before.

I'm running a -current Kernel with the last videopatch installed.

Did I just understand everything wrong, that I can't run color X of the
internal video, not even in true color mode? I thought I just can't run
color when the server needs to do palette-switching, but with true
color I thought it would adress the RGB-values 'directly'.

Or do I have to configure the grf device or something for it to run?

Henning

Henning Loeser            AG-Oberfl"achenphysik, Philipps-Uni-MR
Email:henning.loeser@physik.uni-marburg.de