Subject: Re: Powerbook 165
To: John Tunison <nosinut@CMU.EDU>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/1998 11:42:53
John Tunison wrote:
> Ok.  Help?
>
> I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac Powerbook 165 (10 mb ram, 150 mb
> hd).
>
> The machine-status page shows the PB165 as working, but with unsupported
> video.  Does this mean:
>
> 1) It works, but don't try to install X.

Well, it does mean that, but....

> 2) It works, but doesn't have any support for the screen whatsoever--to use
> one must telnet in.

...this is probably a little closer.  Basically, it _should_ work using a
serial console (attaching another machine to server as a console is about
the only way to get PB's to boot these days).

> If (1), I'm doing something wrong.  The booter says:

[snip]

> "[ prserving 322959 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> Getting mapping from MMU."
>
> At which point it hangs.  Suggestions?  Not knowing much about either Macs
> or NetBSD, I didn't know whether I should try kern_sbc.tgz.  I tried that,
> too, with apparently no effect.  Would -current help?

The above message is about what you'd expect.  It has problems with the
video mapping on this machine.  Scott has made some changes to -current
which may help this some, but I'm not sure since I don't know of anyone
who has tried it.  You can always try booting a -current kernel and see
how it goes (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/).

> If (2), then let me know so I can resign myself to MacOS.

Maybe, for now anyway if the above doesn't work.  What we really need is
someone with time, some kernel hacking knowledge (or the willingness to
learn) and a PowerBook who can figure out how the internal video mapping
works for these machines....

Later.