Subject: Powerbook 165
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Tunison <nosinut@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/1998 13:58:14
Ok.  Help?

I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac Powerbook 165 (10 mb ram, 150 mb
hd).

The machine-status page shows the PB165 as working, but with unsupported
video.  Does this mean:

1) It works, but don't try to install X.
2) It works, but doesn't have any support for the screen whatsoever--to use
one must telnet in.

If (1), I'm doing something wrong.  The booter says:

"Debugging at level 0.
Logging to bootlog
Booting...transparent = 1
MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00.
 1055472+65792+101352+166452+156503

Set _boothowto to 0x0.
Attempting to kill all running programs
Changing Monitor settings...
  Bye-bye...

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x0."

I then click "Boot" and get:

"[ prserving 322959 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU."

At which point it hangs.  Suggestions?  Not knowing much about either Macs
or NetBSD, I didn't know whether I should try kern_sbc.tgz.  I tried that,
too, with apparently no effect.  Would -current help?

If (2), then let me know so I can resign myself to MacOS.

Thanks,
John