Subject: Re: Mkfs partition size differs from formatter's -- why?
To: Tim Bessie" , "port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/25/1998 13:37:13
Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net> wrote:

>Perhaps this question has been answered before, but I hadn't
>noticed it until now.  I've formatted my internal HD, created
>partitions for MacBSD, ran mkfs1.45 to convert the partitions
>to the correct type, and then asked mkfs to format the partitions.
>For some reason, it always seems to think they are 3MB-10MB
>larger than they actually are (as they were partitioned by
>my formatter - HDT2.5.2).  Anybody know why this is?  Does
>this mean that use of these partitions will result in errors
>when blocks near the end of the partion are accessed?
>What's up?

Mkfs uses the values recorded in the disk Partition Map for the size of
the partition. If the partition was created with HDT and shows a
different size under Mkfs it's probably because somebady is rounding.
HDT may also be displaying the size of the MacOS data portion of the
partition, i.e. minus the overhead used by HFS to map data on the
partition.  Either way it's nothing to worry about.  Mkfs, the Installer
and the NetBSD kernel always restrict their activity to the blocks
allocated to the partition as defined by the Partition Map entry.

Hope this helps,
-bob