Subject: Re: Nubus-only video on a IIci - not possible?
To: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1998 17:27:25
On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, E. Seth Miller wrote:

> Nathan-
> 	I have been running a IIci for about 10 months, using the 4/8 card
> instead of the internal video.  I find that, as long as I have a monitor
> hooked up to the 4/8 at boot, the machine runs fine (displays properly,
> &c.).

REALLY?  Whoa, that's different than what I get.  Are you running 1.3.1?
Let me make this clear:

1. I'm booting System 7.5.5 with a monitor on the 8/24 card, set to black
and white (card has enough VRAM to support millions).
2. I boot NetBSD 1.3.1, serial console active.
3. The 8/24 screen doesn't clear, NetBSD boots.
4. If I move the monitor to the internal video port, its not active!

I haven't setup X to see if it recognizes teh 8/24 card yet.

> However, if I subsequently attach a monitor to the internal port, I
> get no display, of course, because the internal video found no monitor and
> was not enabled.

Makes sense, though I'm suprised that NetBSD willingly boots with no local
console!

> It sounds like your internal port is functioning as it
> should; the problem deals with your 8/24.  I presume all is well to boot
> into MacOS, and that it simply never goes to the white screen of the
> console?

Right.

> 	I'm not all that experienced, so I can't tell you what isn't
> working.  All I can say is that it SHOULD work, AFAIK...  It's not an
> 8/24GC, is it?  Best of luck.

No, its not a GC, just a plain 8/24.

--
Nathan Raymond